Friday, June 27, 2014

Email from Ben Copans, Watershed Coordinator, Vermont Department of Environmental Conservation

Hi Marcia,

It was great to meet with you and Allison today and do a little adventuring to the sleepers River.  Hope it was OK to just stop by as I was driving by the school and figured I would give it a shot and the timing seemed to work out well.  I am excited about your idea of getting students down on the river to learn so just let me know if there is any way I can help support you in this effort.  It sounds like you will be working on getting a trail down to the river which is great and then will be having some classes in the fall to get students familiar with the river and then get into discussions about human impacts on the river and a service project.  We discussed a few service projects that might be possible for the students including cleanup, a rain garden on the school somewhere (which could tie in with a discussion of the construction and separation project), as well as the possibility for a buffer planting project if a site could be located.  Again I think macroinvertebrate sampling would be a good project to consider as a part of this.

Finally the link to the ANR atlas I mentioned today is:



This is a great resource to look at things such as topography, watersheds, water quality conditions and includes the parcel boundaries which comes in handy with regards to the school property and planning access to the river.  I attached the map with the school property boundary shown over the aerial photo with some contours shown which provides a bit more context then the map we had today.

Again let me know if there is anything I can do to support this and I look forward to hearing from you in the fall when you get back into planning for this effort.

Ben


MAPP HorizLogoEmail
Ben Copans, Watershed Coordinator1229 Portland Street, Suite 201
St Johnsbury, VT  05819

No comments:

Post a Comment